Net Retention & Churn Forecasting in Clari

Userlevel 3

Hi Everyone!

My name is Michelle and I manage one of our Solution Consulting Teams in the Professional Services Department. If you’re looking to learn some best practices as it relates to Net Retention & Churn, please review this in-depth video & deck (attached below) as you’re thinking about bringing that process into Clari! We go over the following: 

1. Why is forecasting/tracking renewals is important?
  2. Net Retention SFDC & Forecasting Set up
  3. Best practices for Calculations
  4. Churn SFDC & Forecasting Set up
  5. Key Considerations & Next Steps

In regards to requirements gathering, here are the Key Questions we will ask you:

• Who owns and is responsible for forecasting renewals, churns, and upsells?
    • Attribution to the correct teams: If sales/AM team owns upsells and not CS, how can we attribute upsells to CS team members to get to NRR and GRR?
    • Understanding opportunity set up: If expansions/upsells are in renewals, are they attached to the renewal opportunity or created as separate opportunities?
  • Does the current role hierarchy structure support the forecast rollup for the Customer Success/Account Manager Teams?
  • What record types/opportunity types are used to measure Renewals/Churn/Upsells?
  • What amount fields are used to measure Renewals/Churn/Upsells?
    • Do the following fields exist:
      • Target Renewal Amount, Actual Renewal Amount, Expansion/Upsell Amount, Churn Amount
  • Do you have quota attainment against Renewals/Churn/Upsells?
  • Are you tracking Renewal/Account Health
    • If so, what segments should we look to break it out in the Forecasting module?
      • Ex. Red/Yellow/Green Renewals
  • Are you tracking Churn Reasons?
    • If so, what segments should we look to break it out in the Forecasting module?
      • Ex. Addressable/Non-Addressable deals

Please start to think about these question as we’ll need this information to build it out for you! If you have any questions in the meantime, you can reach out to your Customer Success Manager and Account Manager. 

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This is such a helpful overview + practical guide to approaching the net retention/churn use case with Clari, @Michelle Vu! Thank you so much for sharing.

I particularly appreciate the examples of how you can set up Opportunities and Forecasting in Clari for Net Retention and Churn in the deck (always helps me to see a visualization!).

Userlevel 4

@David Ma Tagging you in this post that Mohak shared as an extra bookmark. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@derekdean - thought this article would be helpful with your churn forecasting plans

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Stephanie Griffin - thought of our conversation yesterday to kick off tracking churn within Clari. Here are some good questions to consider as we begin to get this set up

Userlevel 4

@Jackie D'Ingianni keeping the topic on the radar! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@Gabriel De La Torre - Useful for NDR as we consider building this out in a stronger fashion for you all 

@derekdean here is a great resource as we move forward with tracking churn within Clari for your CSM’s

Userlevel 4
Badge

^^ @derekdean sorry I was signed into your account when looking this up but also shared this resource during our meeting 🙂

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@Philip van Heerden - I sent the link to you separately too but here’s the Post around Churn Forecasting I mentioned for future reference. Very good introduction and some great pointers! 

@Parin Lad thank you.  Just finished watching the video and on the surface it seems like it will address churn for us.  Keen to see it in a demo and how it will roll up to the CSM forecast.  

Badge

@Michael Look In line with our conversation today...

Badge

@Alison Rothman 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@Oda Wallwitz Interesting read before we make changes

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@Jean-Baptiste brunet 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@Isac Pratas 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@Stephanie Martin Here’s a great resource to help you think about and visualize the Retention Forecast tab in Clari. I’d encourage you to think about these questions as we work on building it out

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I see this (admittedly great) post resurface every week! I would love to know what additional resources on this topic the members in our community would find helpful. Please don’t hesitate to reply to this thread with your ideas.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@James Clay This is the article I was just discussing.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@Helena Silva  This is the recording I had previously tagged Isac in. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@Brian Kennedy @Graham Knight @Aiste Sidlauskaite here is the post I was referring to just now on our call. 😊

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@David McCummiskey @Caroline Jones How Clari can support Renewals 😊

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@Morgan Furneaux As we think about Churn Forecasting- you’’ll find this helpful

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@Mike Green How Clari can support Renewal and Churn forecasting