Pipeline Bloated? Here's how you can tell what's real

• 4 April 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

As a CSM, there are are few fields that I recommend when you want look at pipeline hygiene--

First, I’d use a “push count” field. This field will show you how many times the opportunity close date has been pushed forward. If there is more than 2 pushes, I usually recommend an intensive inspection into the deal to see if it worth keeping in the pipeline.

Second, Slipped Reason-- are you seeing deals slip over and over again? Do you have a ton of slipped deals quarter after quarter? Adding Slipped Reason will start giving you insight into why these deals are slipping. Is it because of cost? Is it getting stuck in negotiation for months? This can lead to coaching or process changes to increase deal velocity and improve Average Deal Age.

Lastly, Age- Understanding how long your average deal cycle is can be super helpful. Adding AGE can give you insight into Average Age of a Deal by team, rep, vertical, etc. Do you find some reps close deals faster/slower than others? Here’s a great avenue into data-driven coaching. 

1 reply

Userlevel 2

@krystiwalker That was great advice Krysti! For customer’s who do not have the ‘push counter’ SFDC field built in Salesforce, here is how we can build this field in SFDC:

Push Counter

• Data Type: Number Field (Opportunity) + Workflow Rule for Field Update

• Clari Use Case: This counter is used to see how many times a close date has been pushed out.  It incrementally increases the field value by 1 when CloseDate > PRIORVALUE(CloseDate) triggers a workflow rule.

• We must define what ‘push’ means: week-to-week, month-to-month, or quarter-to-quarter. This will dictate how the workflow should be setup depending on the definition.